On the Toilet Bowl of Samsara

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Zen in Water

Yesterday, I swam.

I've been learning this new method of swimming, called Total Immersion Swimming. It's actually not a new method: I've been trying to learn it since last year, but haven't really had the time to.

It starts off with the simple premise that by reconditioning your body-mind to learn simple moves all over again, you can improve the shape of your body in the water, and thus improve your speed. In addition, you do not get fit by blindly applying brute force, but by practicing your technique, and increasing your distance steadily.

So yesterday I spent the time gliding in the water. It's really weird because I was too tired to try as hard as I used to, in the weeks past.

But my stroke efficiency improved tremendously.

All I did was to just trust myself, and to focus on what I was doing. It felt really good to just glide in the water, to move, and to focus on the sensations.

It was a very calming thing to do as well, almost meditative.

1 Comments:

  • Good on you for meditating. I am still in the beginner stage of swimming ...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home